Paul,

That makes sense...the only change was the move from CF 5 to MX and
I've been scratching my head about what the heck happened.

In terms of the hint early, hint often stuff, do you recommend the
cfprocessingdirective with encoding set to utf-8, on every template?

As far as converting the data, if I understand what you're saying, I
should run a cfhttp to the cf 5 box, from an MX box, and re-insert the
data in the dbase?

thanks,
Chris