I'll second Dave's comments, but add this:

Be sure that you can afford to have all the software in question
running on your box. Is it your primary workstation? Are you willing
to stop the services when you're not using them? By the time you get
CFMX (which means Jrun), IIS, Dreamweaver, Firworks, Eclipse, HS+, SQL
Server or your DB engine of choice, and anything else like Outlook,
Firefox, IE, and all the other tools you'll have to run... how much
memory and CPU are you going to have left for working? Granted, Jrun
only consumes (generally) between 50 and 125MB of RAM, but the real
question is what's the cumulative memory and CPU consumption by the
time you get all that installed and running and want to work.

Since deployment to IIS/CF and CF-standalone are identical (CF Admin
to set up services like DSNs, files copied to a folder for deploying
application), there's absolutely no harm in developing on CF developer
stand-alone. There are a few extra things I find myself needing to do
on IIS where CF Developer is pretty much install-and-go (IIS tasks
include verifying the CFIDE virtual directory, JrunScripts virtual
directory, and messing with host headers/virtual sites) Unless you
need to do things like virtual directories or virtual sites, I'd say
go for the developer standalone.

Or use Apache... ;)

For my little Celeron D 325 system with 512MB of the highest
performance RAM I could get, I need to have CF, IIS, SQL Server all on
an off-board box because it dogs out badly when I've got DW, HS+,
Outlook, Excel, 4 tabs in Firefox, Fireworks, and CuteFTP all open at
the same time. Gets nasty, actually.

Sorry that got long, but it's not so simple a question.

Laterz,

--
Continuum Media Group LLC
Burnsville, MN 55337