> This is not a flaw...it is a noted enhancement, one which
> I like, and
> I think MM should pick up, they could easily add a boolean
> value at
> the end of list function to disignate if you want to
> include blank
> entries. I think it is obsurd to use Macromedia's product
> as a
> measuring stick as to what is a flaw or not...but that is
> getting way
> too off topic...

It would be absurd if there were not a specific ojbective by New
Atlanta to market BD as an alternative to MM's server using the same
syntax. The list functions are ubiquitous enough to make migrating an
application from CF to BlueDragon or vice versa an incredible
challenge, which is counterproductive to the objective of marketing it
as an alternative.

If their intent is to market it as an alternative (which I've always
seen in their text), syntax variances between them should be limited
primarily to _new_ functions and tags (<cfimage> for instance) in
order to maintain consistency and reduce the number of headaches
involved in migrating an application between them.

I wouldn't necessarily describe this as a design flaw if it were for
instance a minor change in functionality between two versions of an
infrequently used tag (cfftp or cfhttp for instance), but this is a
drastic difference in the behavior of a collection of functions which
are used ad-nauseum in many if not most applications built with CF.

Moreover the results of the function not behaving as expected aren't
necessarily readily obvious -- a misbehaving page won't always throw
an intuitive error which can be easily identified as having a root
cause that comes from the list function's altered behavior, and in
many cases is liable to result in the insertion of unexpected data
into a database or similar issues which have wide-sweeping,
"chain-reaction" type effects on an application.

"Enhancement" ... maybe... but only if you have never and will never
use the same app on MM's CF Server. Which also significantly limits
the potential of people designing applications to be cross-platform
between them. To the person who just wants to migrate an application
with thousands to millions of lines of code to BlueDragon, it's either
a gratuitous extra migration headache, or a flat-out deal-breaker for
even using BlueDragon.

s. isaac dealey     954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with