----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Dinowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:17 AM
Subject: URL masking and application.cfc

> I've been thinking of a new method of presenting dynamic content,
> specifically the list archives. At the moment you get to a single post
> by
> passing an ID on the url. Even if this is 'hidden' using SES Urls or the
> like, your still passing something.
> My idea is to use the application.cfc to 'catch' a specific type of 404
> error and in place of an error, run a page.
>
> Take for example this url:
> http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/messages.cfm/forumid:4/threadid:38946
> In its place I want to use this url:
> http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/messages_4_38946.cfm
> When the onRequestStart or onRequest action is run, I'd like to change
> the
> page requested from messages_4_38946.cfm to messages.cfm and turn the
> rest
> of the url into the proper variables. Looks totally do-able and I'll be
> playing with it tonight. The reason I'm mentioning it is to see if
> anyone
> else has done this already, anyone finds this interesting and wants to
> try
> it and anyone wants to comment on it. I think it's a nice usage of
> application.cfc, but if others find it to be flawed, I'd like to hear it
> early on.

Will application.cfc be executed whenever CF fails to find the
messages_4_38946.cfm page?

Unless you're using a shared server you can accomplish this by specifying
a missing template handler in CF Administrator and doing the work in that
CF page.  I've done this recently for some web sites whose URL structure
was changed - we pick up the error in the missing template handler,
rewrite the URL and do a redirect.  There is some advantage to doing this
in CF - you can run queries, for instance, if necessary for rewriting the
URL.