All,
        I'm creating a new xml interface that will allow our clients to
connect to our system and update our records. I was researching the ways of
documenting the xml structure, for the clients to use.
        It seems like I have at least three ways to do this. DTD's, Schemas
and just writing a specification that lists the elements, and the data types
allowed, and the process to connect to and update our system.

        In reading up on XML documentation, it appears that DTD's are being
eclipsed by using Schemas. So I will either use Schemas or a spec. What is
the real benefit of writing the schema, when I still will have to write a
spec for them to use for the specifics of connecting to our system, general
error messages and other documentation?

Thanks in advance.

John Stanley