>From: Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:03:15 -0500

>We have been developing applications like this for years. Any attendee of
>the DC CFUG/WAMMO groups can attest to that, as we would present them very
>frequently. Typically, the initial development would be done by extremely
>skilled people, but we would regularly bring on developers to maintain (and
>extend) these applications. These developers would typically be competent,
>but relatively inexperienced with DHTML development. And yet they would be
>able to learn what they needed to successfully maintain the applications!
>Imagine that!

Dave Watts is usually on the money when analyzing
ROI/management/programming/clients.  Indeed I was just such a Fig Leaf
programmer charged with O+M and scaling just such applications in the late
90s.  One reason that this kind of application doesn't frighten me in the
slightest-  I've been to the abyss of javascript juggling hidden frames and
assembling WDDX.  I'm not genius programmer, but I'm paid to build
applications, not be on the forefront of CompSci R+D- I find the parts with
the maximum ROI, hit that sweet spot and reap the kudos.

Like Dave, I'm flummoxed by the attitude that Ajax is just too difficult for
most people.  It's not.  It might be hard to invent a new application from
whole cloth, but I've been reading enough about design patterns to
acknowledge that as a whole, we shouldn't be reinventing every wheel as it
is.

I am convinced that in 3 months we'll have a series of easy to implement
tools that we can share.  I tried to explain the technology (or technique if
you don't want to use the business definition to my staff and it was over
their heads.  I did converted the webpasties example to something for our
organization and the lightbulbs clicked in people's heads.  "If I can do A
and B, then I can do C and D too, and what about F?"  "Dude, the clients
don't need F."

What's critical to remember is that throughout history, the best engineers
combined and marketed existing technologies.  Surely many of you remember
products developed for the space program that ended up on our breakfast
tables.  There is nothing at all anomalous about the marketing behind Ajax
and I'm all for it.

Don