> I have a friend that is playing with the WAR file deployment
> features of CFMX 7. He claims he can take a site that is
> running on his CFMX7 development server (running CFMX7 in dev
> mode) export it as a war file and run it on a J2EE server and
> the site will function as if it is running on CFMX
> enterprise.  The site running on the J2EE server does not
> seem to be restricted to the two IP address like CFMX dev server.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Is there anything in the Licensing of CFMX7 development
> server that would prevent this?
>
> Seems like this is too good to be true.

It's certainly not supposed to work that way, and it hasn't in my limited
experience. When you export a WAR or EAR, you have an option to enter a CFMX
Enterprise serial number. If you don't enter a serial number, it's supposed
to run with the limitations of Developer Edition until you enter a serial
number.

When I've tried this, I've only created EARs, and have migrated them from
one JRun 4 server to another. I haven't tried using other J2EE servers or
the WAR file format.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/