From: Sean Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 3:13 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF7 instances and server memory

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:29:24 +1000, Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am wondering if there are some values on how much ram and memory to
> the number of instances of jrun or cf server?

It depends. Sorry that's not very helpful but it's accurate. It really
depends on the applications on the server and the traffic levels. For
example, on the macromedia.com servers, we have the JVM heap set to
2Gb min (3Gb max) and have two instances per server (each server has
8Gb RAM).

Bear in mind that whatever you store in application and/or server
scope will be in every instance whereas session, request and page
scope variables will be spread among the instances (assuming you're
load balancing traffic?). Also the number of classes (.cfm templates,
...cfc templates and methods) will affect memory usage - and again will
be in every instance.

> For example if we have a w2k server with iis and jrun4, with cf7, this
> machine has say 2gb ram how many cf instances with 500mb heap are we
> limited to? 3 given that windows need some ram as well?

How many CPUs? That also has a bearing. You want to tune CF so it
handles 3-5 simultaneous requests per CPU. So if you have 2 CPUs and 3
instances you still want 6-10 simultaneous requests on that box split
across three instances. There's a lot of variables.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Team Fusebox -- http://fusebox.org/

-- Margaret Atwood