On 9/12/00, Peter Benoit penned:
>I have 2 tables, which have a relationship of the unique ID.  I'm kind of
>confused how to update table 2, with a matching record from table 1.
>
>For instance, if table 1 was products, and table 2 was a download count of
>those products.  Each time it's downloaded, I need to update the product
>count in table 2 according to which product it is in table 1.  Make sense?
>
>Not sure how to go about this, any suggestions please?

Two ways to go about it. Enter a record into downloads when you enter
the product into products.

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="mydatasource">
INSERT INTO products
(product_id,column2,column3,etc)
VALUES
(#product_id#,#column2#,#column3#,#etc#)
</CFQUERY>

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="mydatasource">
INSERT INTO downloads
(product_id,downloadcount)
VALUES
(#product_id#,0)
</CFQUERY>

Then when they download:

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="mydatasource">
UPDATE downloads
SET downloadcount = downloadcount + 1
WHERE product_id = #product_id#
</CFQUERY>

Or let them do it on the fly.

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="mydatasource" NAME="indownloads">
SELECT product_id
FROM downloads
WHERE product_id = #product_id#
</CFQUERY>

<CFIF downloads.recordcount IS "0">

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="mydatasource">
INSERT INTO downloads
(product_id,downloadcount)
VALUES
(#product_id#,1)
</CFQUERY>

<CFELSE>

--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452