From: Andy Mcshane [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:48 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Web Based Mail Merge? (not email!)

I did something like this some time ago, I created the word document, put
place holders in for my data, saved it as an rtf file. I then had to copy
the RTF text into a .cfm page, process my place holders to put my text in
and then save the RTF text back out to another file. This worked well. This
was fine when I could control content of the document. Where this
requirement now differs is that I want the user to create their own RTF
documents and then upload them to our web server into a template directory.

Let me run this idea by you, If I provide the user with a list of
pre-defined merge field codes, i.e. the coldfusion code that maps to a
required peice of data in the database, so that they can create their very
own RTF documents, let them upload the document to the template directory on
the server, I could then read the RTF file line by line to replace the merge
fields with data and write out completed letters to another file. Does
anybody see any problems with this idea? Are text file read & writes much of
an overhead for the server? I envisage that anywhere between 1 - 300+
letters may need to be produced at any one time.

you could generate RTF files on the files.

add <<mailmerge fields>> to a word document - save as RTF and us CF to
generate RTF and make available for download.