> Essentially what is happening is we've broken down our email sendouts into
> smaller groups. This was done before I came here, but I assume it was done in
> this manner to make the chunks more managable and to be able to monitor the
> progress of the entire system. ( ie... we get a confimation after each batch
> ).

Hum... sounds like something I've written before.. The reason I've
done things like that on systems was IIRC if a mail fails half way
through some items get send out and some don't (at least in the past),
and I think it had to do with the maintainability of that process.

The other thing I think was that depending on your mail server the
process could just blow up too if it got overloaded. Those reasons may
not apply to your situation, but it sounds like some one specifically
set out to write it that way and it might be a good idea to find out
why before you go for a rewrite. Can you call the guy who wrote it in
the first place?

> I would take a guess that the queries that search for related data to a
> specific client is what is slowing the whole thing down. ( It seems to take
> the better part of a day to send out 40,000+ ) emails....

Is that because the 1000s groups are sent out in a scheduled task? How
many clients send out these groups of 40,000 - the system I worked on
could have like 6-10 clients sending out 100-100,000 emails at any
given time - all on cf standard edition which was why in my particular
situation we opted to do a round robbin batch of 1000 emails

> I dont know, but that seems excessive to me. Of course I couldn't really say
> as I've never worked on a email list of this size before. Perhaps this is the
> norm.
>
> As I've mentioned before, the way this has been set up is on CF Developer
> Edition along with scheduled tasks for each group of 1000 clients. This is
> the system that I have inherited.

This whole application runs on Developer Edition? Isn't that a license
no-no... do you mean standard edition?

--
~Blog~
http://www.robrohan.com