Things may appear hung in Enterprise Manager because it sits waiting for a
response from SQL Servers engine and depending on the action you do and the
table structure and quantitiy of data, things can take some time...

I did exactly the operation you attempted a couple of years ago on a dev
box, it took 20 minutes... I went to do it on live and about had
palpatations when it didn't return for 12 hours... My lesson learned was to
always double check the amount of data you are processing and account for it
in the operations you want to do...

As a last resort to fix this, you may have to re-install the full text
indexing engine but first, lets take a look at a few things.....

.... Are there any problems in the error logs  relating to SQL Server etc?

Paul