These are predefined departments arent they?

Even if they aren't, why would you subject yourself to the horror of
adding a database column each time a user adds a category? That
exactly the sort of problem relational databases were designed to
solve -- so you wouldn't need to add columns. (That's the "relational"
part -- as opposed to a non-relational database which is merely a
spreadsheet afaik.)

The information in my last post applied to a list of pre-defined
"categories" (which sound to me like hospital departments), however,
it still will work with a variable number of departments, you would
merely need an additional form page to allow users to update the
tCategory table, which is hideously simple -- it's a standard
create-read-update-delete (CRUD) form. Then once you or they have
populated the tCategory table the code in my previous post can handle
associating those categories with your other form record. (It might be
helpful if we knew what the categories are being associated with --
presumably the form is used to update information about something
other than the form itself.)

> I think that the steps are:

> 1) I have to develop a CF page where the user can enter
> the information for new checkboxes.

> 2) once the user enters the information, the column in the
> database has to be added

please don't... do a google search for "third normal form". Trust me,
you'll be grateful.

> 3) Also, the checkboxes have to be auto-populated on the
> CF Page where the user is going to actually make data
> entry for forms, categories, and all other things.

The code I supplied will do that for associating categories with the
form record.

> The step 1 and 2 are relatively easy since I simply need
> to alter the table, but I am not sure on how to approach
> the Step 3.

see the code in the original message... but it's steps 1 and 2 you're
planning to do in a way that you'll regret later.

s. isaac dealey   954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework