In this issue of ColdFusion conference and training news:

1. CFUNITED News - hotel FULL, timely bird price ends 4/30
2. ColdFusion Live! launchs Thursday 4/21/05 12:30pm
3. Adobe to buy Macromedia
4. Win a ticket to CFUNITED - Last days... drawing Friday 4/22/05
5. "Project Management the /Joel on Software/ way" interview with Joel Spolsky
6. "Personal Branding" interview with Joey Coleman

Happy coding
- Michael Smith,
   TeraTech, Inc  http://www.teratech.com/
   "Creating excellent custom software since 1989"

    "...this event really is the best gathering in the world for people
    developing or managing CF systems. It's here that we can understand what
    happened, hear what's happening, and learn what's going to happen. You can't
    beat it." - Chuck Hoffman

1. CFUNITED News
****************
* The CFUNITED hotel room block is SOLD OUT for Tues, Wed and Thurs! This is a
record
   early date for the hotel filling which show how popular CFUNITED has become.
   There are still rooms available on other nights before and after the main
conference.
   We will announce a backup hotel room block next week.

* Pre-conference classes are filling up fast. Check the schedule, descriptions
   and registration at
   http://www.cfunited.com/classes.cfm

* Only 10 weeks until CFUNITED-05. Timely bird price $549 expires in 10 days on
4/30/05

* 415 people have already registered for CFUNITED-05! That is a lot more than
this time
   last year for CFUN-04!

* Figleaf is a new sponsor http://www.figleaf.com/

* The Mid-Atlantic Free Code Camp is on Sat May 7th. Covers Web Development,
Smart Clients,
   Database, Process, Design, and Security. I will be speaking as will CFUNITED
speakers
   Sandra Clark and Geoff Snowman.
     http://blogs.msdn.com/gduthie/articles/383561.aspx

* Damon Cooper blogs CFUNITED
.... Macromedia is now officially the sole Platinum Sponsor of CFUNITED-05! ...
http://www.dcooper.org/blog/client/

* The MMUG Manager and Team Macromedia conference will be on Tuesday 6/28/05
for
more details
and registration see:
   http://www.cfconf.org/mmug_managers_2005/

2. ColdFusion Live! launchs Thursday 4/21/05 12:30pm
Announcing a new event for The Online Coldfusion Meetup Group!

What: ColdFusion Live!  A CFUNITED show with Jeff Peters and
Simon Horwith

When: Thursday, April 21, 12:30 PM EDT ... Tomorrow!

This is the first in a weekly series of
lunchtime events where presenters at the upcoming CFUNITED
ColdFusion conference will preview their talks here at the
Online ColdFusion Meetup Group in cooperation with the Maryland
ColdFusion User Group. There will be 2 short presentations, about 15
minutes each.

Part 1) Jeff Peters, book author and creator of www.grokfusebox.
com will be discussing the Fusebox Lifecycle Process.

Part 2) Simon Horwith, Editor CFDJ and CTO AboutWeb will be
discussing the  Adobe acquisition of Macromedia

By now you've probably heard the news that Adobe is set to acquire Macromedia in
a deal worth $3.4 billion.  What does this mean to developers and to the future
of ColdFusion?  Of course, not much can be said for sure, and much of what is
being said is under NDA, but there are some reasonable speculations.  Join Simon
to speculate, to talk about what has and has not been said, and to find out what
all of this really means to you.

RSVP here for the Breeze URL:
http://coldfusion.meetup.com/17/events/4621303/

3. Adobe to buy Macromedia
**************************
As you may have heard Adobe is buying Macromedia. I think this will ensure the
future
of ColdFusion. Now more than ever it makes sense to talk with your peers and the
ColdFusion development team at CFUNITED! Help Adobe understand why ColdFusion is
so successful. I will be inviting some senior Adobe executives to CFUNITED to
hear
your feedback directly.

Kevin Lynch has posted some info / thoughts
http://www.klynch.com/archives/000078.html

Good thoughts by Brooks-Bilson (I'll sleep better after reading this.)

http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=564866F9-F7AF-8F97-E5095D5FF4305678

Mike Chamber's informational post at
http://www.markme.com/mesh/archives/007504.cfm

4. Win a ticket to CFUNITED
***************************
The competition for a free ticket (a $549 value) ends Friday 4/22/05.
        http://www.cfunited.com/survey.cfm

The winner will be chosen based on answering the questions correctly
together with the best answer to the question "Why should people come to
CFUNITED-05?"

5. "Project Management the /Joel on Software/ way" interview with Joel Spolsky
Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Joel Spolsky about his
CFUNITED-05 talk "Project Management the /Joel on Software/ way". So why
should a developer come to your session Joel?

Joel Spolsky: Most people who have to manage software projects are software
developers, not project managers, and nothing about writing code has trained
them to put together large projects and ensure that they actually deliver a
quality product on time. I’ll use this session to introduce my own simple
philosophy of project management: running a team, picking the features to do
first and the bugs to fix first, and deciding when to ship.

MS: So what kinds of things can happen when an untrained project manager
runs a software project?

JS: All kinds of things. A common mistake is to hope, against all evidence,
that the team members are smart and will be able to organize themselves, so
the newly promoted programmer decides he or she can afford to spend 80% of
their time writing code and only 20% of their time managing. The trouble is
that without any kind of system in place to decide what to do and in what
order, chaos ensues and you either get a death march project that’s never
done, or an inadequate product that nobody wants. A typical manifestation of
this is that team members work on the fun things first, not the important
things, so when the schedule is running late and you have to cut features
all the features left to do are important features that can’t possibly be
cut.

MS: Ouch that sounds painful! So how do you think the team should be run?

JS: I would never have the chutzpa to say that I have the answer for all
teams. However, in most cases, the key thing is to have a
constantly-updated, real-time, highly detailed list of features and tasks,
with priorities and estimates for each item. Then at any time everybody
knows what they should be working on and in what order, and if you have good
estimates, you should be able to say "if we do all priority 1 features,
we'll finish on date X, and if we also do priority 2 features, we'll finish
on date Y." Now it's a simple matter of setting a date that gets the optimal
balance of features and shipping (shipping is a very valuable feature).

MS: What about bugs - software always seems to ship with bugs - can that be
stopped?

JS: For the purpose of project management, a bug and a feature are the same
thing: something somebody has to spend some amount of time on with some
priority. If you can store feature requests and development tasks in your
bug tracking system, all the better, because now every morning every
developer knows exactly what to work on first.

MS: Doesn't tracking bugs and tasks add a lot of overhead to the project?

JS: Yeah, and hiring an architect adds a lot of overhead to your kitchen
renovation, but they both save you a lot of time and money, in the short run
and in the long run! You're going to be tracking bugs and tasks anyway, it's
just a question of whether you do it in an organized fashion where everyone
can be on the same page, or on a whiteboard in one person's office, where
it's apt to be erased by the cleaning lady.

MS: What about dependencies between tasks - especially things the client is
delivering to the team. Any comments on how you handle that?

JS: My experience is that when building software you don't have as many
dependencies as you might think. In house building, you really have to build
the walls before you can put in furniture, or it will rain and ruin the
furniture. But in software the furniture programmer can just write "int
wall(){return 43;}" as a placeholder and get all his furniture in place long
before the wall guy has delivered his piece. Its so easy to move things
around that you hardly have any dependencies, and those you do have are so
clear and obvious it's almost not worth tracking them formally.

MS: How do you estimate when the project will be completed?

JS: Begging forgiveness in advance for a glib answer, you don't! What you do
is set the date when the project has to be completed and then pick the
optimal set of features to meet that date. Your schedule should have line
items and estimate for every task, bug fix, and big line items for
debugging, integration, buffer for new features that you forgot to mention,
even line items for vacations and holidays. Then you can add up the number
of hours you have for each person on the team, take the maximum of that, add
it to today's date, and get your scheduled completion date, which,
inevitably, will be two years too late. So then you start prioritizing and
re-prioritizing until you can reach the date you have to ship on with only
the top priority features.

MS: Sounds good. See you at CFUNITED.

You can see more interviews at http://www.cfunited.com/interviews.cfm
CFUNITED-05 is Wed 6/29/05 - Fri 7/1/05 in Bethesda MD, just outside
Washington DC. It costs $549 until 4/30/05 then $649. For more information on
CFUNITED see

http://www.cfunited.com/

---

Project Management the /Joel on Software/ way

*************************

For over five years Joel Spolsky has promoted his ideas about developing
software on his website /Joel on Software./ He even created a program that
lets you put some of these sane ideas into place: the FogBugz project
management system, which lets software teams coordinate themselves and lets
them keep track of the millions of details it takes to deliver really great
software. In this session Joel will introduce his ideas on managing projects
and demonstrate how his software implements these ideas. He’ll also talk
about some of the design decisions in creating FogBugz. Usually,
paradoxically, /eliminating/ features and flexibility led to a product that
worked much, much better in the real world, but the Fog Creek team also made
dozens of tiny design decisions based on human nature and the sociology of
software teams. This session tells the fascinating story of that design.

Speaker Bio:

Joel Spolsky is an expert on software development and the founder of Fog
Creek Software. His website Joel on Software (www.joelonsoftware.com) is
popular with software developers around the world and has been translated
into over thirty languages. His latest book is Joel on Software (Apress
2004).

6. "Personal Branding" interview with Joey Coleman
Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Joey Coleman about his CFUNITED-05
talk "Personal Branding". So why should a developer come to your session Joey ?

Joey Coleman: Whether you freelance code or work in-house at a
company/organization, the most important element of your career path is your
"personal brand." In an ever-changing economy, you need to be able to show why
you are the best person for the job. Everyone has a personal brand - what they
need to be asking is "how am I promoting my personal brand." My session at
CFUNITED-05 will address this question...

MS: What do you mean by personal brand? It is not like we are all rock stars
with image consultants behind us at our jobs! :-)

JC:  Actually, we all have the capability of being viewed as rock stars - at
least in the world in which we operate.  It's all about how you present and
market yourself to managers, colleagues, and potential employers.  Your personal
brand is what you are known for - the special value you provide to a team or an
organization.  Your personal brand lets people know you are unique and valuable.
If you don't brand yourself, someone else will.  It is better to deliberately
create a personal brand that represents you in the manner you desire than to
leave this important task to another person.

MS: What are some examples of what might happen if I just let someone else brand
me?

JC: You may get branded in a limited way when you actually have more skills:
"Steve does ColdFusion programming for non-profits." You may get branded in a
non-specific way: "Steve works on computers." You may get branded in a negative
way: "Steve is a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none." While some of these
labels are better than others, you should be in control of your brand so that
you can choose what you are known for...

MS: Ok I am sold that I need to control my personal brand! But won't it be
expensive for me to do that?

JC: Not really... Not to mention that it is the best kind of money you can spend
- an investment in yourself. Depending on the type of brand you want to develop,
you can read books (several have been written on the topic of personal
branding), attend personal brand seminars (offered throughout the country by a
variety of experts), or hire a personal brand consultant. It just depends on the
level of results you seek.

MS: Ok, so the expense can vary depending on how much I want done - but won't it
take me a long time to create a personal brand?

JC: Building a brand is a life-long project. That being said, you can put
together a solid personal brand profile in less than two months if you are
working with a professional to assist you.

MS: It sounds like a fair amount of work...

JC: It is, but it can be a ton of fun. At the end of the day, you are refining
your personal image and spending a lot of time evaluating what's most important
to you and what you want your legacy to be - important stuff to say the least.
The more you define your brand, the more successful you will be in your career.

MS: What if I think I already have a well-established reputation and brand?

JC: That's wonderful - and most people reading this interview probably do have
an established brand. But I wonder if it is exactly the brand and image they
want to portray? Every brand can stand a little more focus and attention - and
as I mentioned before, this is an ever-evolving process so you should constantly
revisit your brand and make sure it still aligns with your values and your life
vision.

MS: So everyone should come to your session?

JC: That would be wonderful - everyone is welcome ;-) At the very least, if you
are a freelancer, a business owner, or someone who anticipates needing to find a
new job in the next five years, you should attend. Workforce shifts in the U.S.,
combined with off-shoring and increased competition from around the world, means
that job security is a thing of the past - especially in the technology arena.
Future jobs are going to go to the people who can distinguish themselves in an
ever-crowding workplace. The best way to do that is to have a solid brand that
promotes your skills and accomplishments.

MS: I'm sold, what can I do to work on my personal brand?

JC: Come to my session at CFUNITED and we will get you started!

MS: Sounds good - I look forward to your presentation at CFUNITED '05!

JC: Me too... I hope to see lots of the readers at the session!

You can see more interviews at http://www.cfunited.com/interviews.cfm
CFUNITED-05 is Wed 6/29/05 - Fri 7/1/05 in Bethesda MD, just outside Washington
DC.
It costs $549 until 4/30/05 then $649. For more information on CFUNITED see
http://www.cfunited.com/

---
Personal Branding
*************************

Do you need to sell yourself to clients or want to be hired for that dream job.
Personal branding, business branding, creative marketing can help.

JOEY'S BIO:

Joey Coleman | Design|Strategy|Marketing Coaching|Promotions

Joey’s greatest talent lies in developing creative solutions that build buzz
around products and services. He is known for his ability to generate “cool
ideas” and then build implementation plans to turn these ideas into business
practices. From graphic design, to ad campaigns, to promotional products, Joey
helps clients create a message that cuts through the noise.

His design and artwork graced publications in the U.S. and abroad. He regularly
serves as the Creative Director on projects for clients in the non-profit,
technology, small business, and corporate arenas.

Before founding Blue J Marketing & Design, Joey was a practicing trial attorney
in Iowa. Prior to practicing law he served as Associate Director of Member
Services at The Corporate Executive Board (NASDAQ: EXBD) and served in the
“Pending Issues” section of The White House Office of Counsel to the President
during the Clinton Administration. He has also held positions with both the
United States Secret Service and the Central Intelligence Agency.

Joey received a Bachelor of Arts in Government and International Relations from
the University of Notre Dame (Dean’s List Honors) and a Juris Doctor from The
George Washington University Law School (Dean’s Fellow). He is a regular speaker
at national conferences and has served as a guest lecturer at several
universities and colleges.

He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Washington Men’s Camerata
(www.camerata.com) and the National Advisory Council of The Creative America
Project (www.creativeamerica.us).

Tell your friends about CFUNITED-05 - pass this email on
----

Check more about CFUNITED at:
    http://www.cfunited.com/

We have:
* 3 days
* 7 tracks
* 20 sponsors
* 64 sessions
* 1000+ attendees
* 100% nicer hotel
* Includes lunch each day and open bar reception

We have seven tracks this year:

* Bootcamp - Basic ColdFusion and Flash topics
* Advanced - Advanced ColdFusion topics (Blackstone included!)
* Manager/Empowered - Fusebox and Project management topics
* Integration - Flash, Flex and other technologies integrated with CF topics
* Accessibility / usability - section 508, CSS and disabled access
* Deployment - tuning, install issues, OS, picking a database
* CF Platform Integration - interop with Microsoft and other technologies

The timely bird price of $549 for CFUNITED-05 ends 4/30/05.

Save upto $400 by registering now!

* Early Bird  $449 til 2/25/05
* Timely Bird $549 til 4/30/05
* Regular $649 til 6/10/05
* Late $749 til 6/28/04
* At the door $849

Register today at
    http://www.cfunited.com/

--
Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
TeraTech voted Best Consulting Service by CFDJ readers!