> When CFMX7 was launched, I queried as to why the only
> marketing on MM's site was a small picture and some text in
> the center "Products" column.
> I surely thought that with the launch of the most "exciting"
> and "feature rich" version of ColdFusion, the product would
> get top billing on MM's website and be featured in the main
> animation banner that spans across the page, "above the fold".
>
> To my surprise, this never happened. During the launch, Flash
> Mobile and a few other products were featured in the main
> animation - many of which were days/weeks old at this point.
>
> Enter Breeze 5. Sure enough, on the day of the announcement,
> there is a nice banner highlighting product as well as a
> smaller graphics and text in the center products column.
> Surely, MM wanted the world to know about Breeze 5, and the
> website shows it.
>
> Why am I mentioning this? Well, IMHO, it's a subtle but
> important indicator about MM's view of CFMX. It's not that
> they won't devote $$ and resources to its continued
> development, but it's clear that the "broader reach" products
> like Breeze and some of the Flash authoring tools will
> continue to force CFMX to  "backstage" instead of its
> rightful place at "center stage".
>
> To make things worse, MM and Adobe are set to merge.  With
> both companies heavily invested in the tools market, CFML's
> future could be bleak. CMFX won't dissapear, but it's growth
> in terms of market share AND features could be slowed to an
> unacceptable pace as MM/Adobe's attention focuses more
> closely on their cash cow: tools and IDEs.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I hate to see CFMX get dissed by it's
> own company!

If I were in charge of Macromedia, I'd do exactly the same thing they're
doing. I'd be far more concerned about selling Flash and its dependent
products (Breeze, Flex, FlashComm, Flash Video, FlashLite, etc) than about
selling CF. I like CF, don't get me wrong, but it's not the unique kind of
thing that Flash is. It will always be somewhat of a niche product, no
matter how good or popular it is.

Flash, on the other hand, is clearly the most important asset that
Macromedia has. It is the core of Macromedia's business. It is the one thing
that Macromedia has, for which there's no competing product. It's installed
on practically everybody's computer.

And, at some point, I do recall seeing a CF 7 banner at the top of the MM
site. I don't know how long it was there, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/