Stan Winchester wrote:

> The reason I said "GPL infections" is because from my understanding the GPL
> and even the L-GPL requires you provide source code to anyone who wants it,
> and thereby “infects” the application.

The GPL requires that you provide the source code of every
application that incorporates or links a GPL licensed library to
everybody that has obtained a compiled version from you without
limits on change, use or redistribution other then the GPL itself.
Usually the no restrictions clause is the problem, not the source
code itself. With CF you pretty much had to provide the source
anyway, but no restrictions means the code could be ran on an
arbitrary number of servers which requires an entirely different
business model then just selling single server licenses.

The LGPL has the same requirement, but you only have to provide
the source of the LGPL library itself, not of your own application.

The GPL is often called 'viral' because using a little bit of GPL
code in an application 'infects' the rest of the application. The
LGPL does not have this problem. But it is important to recognize
that nobody can force you to give away your sourcecode. If you
don't adhere to the GPL you are violating IP law and somebody
might claim damages, but the law does not recognise "open-source
your own code" as a remedy.

Jochem