> I don't try to second-guess unusual scenarios under which race conditions
> might not need locking; I just lock them according to the rules,

C'mon, I asked a very specific question.  I know my example is
frivolous but it is oversimple for the sake of easy illustration.

I gave a specific example of a 'throwaway' piece of code that can do
no harm if it is off in its display (read) and the developer has
determined that if its off in its value (read and write) this is not
of interest (i.e.its a benign race condition).  You said it must be
locked anyway.  If the reason is "because I do not do sloppy work and
I consider this sloppy" thats fine for you but it is not a requirement
of the CF environment.  Or tell me what I am missing and why it is.

The rules as I read them -- the ones on Macromedia.com I am
constrained to point out -- mean you make an informed rather than a
blanket decision.  I disagree with the blanket approach unless the
developer is unsure of their footing or their needs.

Calling the Coding Guidelines "Sean Corfield's rules" seems
heavy-handed.  If Macromedia LiveDocs hosts the site, as it does, I am
taking this as a sign that there's more here than Sean blogging what
he thinks.  Its been stated before that the site contains the rules
that Macromedia itself uses when building its own ColdFusion
applications.  You are saying they are wrong and, for the moment at
least, I don't accept that.

This is a subject that has been beaten to death over and over again.
IIRC the shared-scope portion of these docs is a fairly recent
revision, and probably placed as an attempt to add some reasonably
official clarity to a subject that -- unquestionably -- is poorly
understood by the CF community.  I don't buy that it would wrong at
this late date.

--
--mattRobertson--
Janitor, MSB Web Systems