Ahh I misunderstood. I was thinking after it was submitted and in the form
scope of CF. (although it was very plain that it's not what you said...
don’t ask)

.... write a function to use in the onclick of each button maybe?

<script>
function whatwasclicked(btn)
{
alert(btn);
//some if statements for different buttons here?
        if (btn=='Button1')
        {
        //Do something for button1
        }
        else if (btn=='Button2')
        {
        //Do something for button2
        }
}
</script>

<input type="button" name="button1" value="Button1"
onclick="whatwasclicked(this.value);">

<input type="button" name="button1" value="Button2"
onclick="whatwasclicked(this.value);">

Again... don’t know what you're doing with it but that will put the VALUE of
the button in the var 'btn' inside the function to do whatever you want
with.