I have tried what you suggested by removing the htmleditformat and the
preserve single quotes, but it is still returning no results?? When it
should be returning results?

Can anybody see anything else which may be causing this problem?

<CFSEARCH
        name = "GetResults"
        collection = "idocs"
         type = "simple"
        criteria = "#Form.Criteria# and CUSTOM2 <CONTAINS>
#session.groupname#"
        maxRows = "#Evaluate(Form.MaxRows + Form.StartRow)#"
        startRow = "#Form.StartRow#"

If I run the original code below, it returns all matched results not
just the results the users security is allowed to view

<CFSEARCH
        name = "GetResults"
        collection = "idocs"
        type = "simple"
        criteria = "#HTMLEditFormat(Form.Criteria)#"