>But with JSP enabled I am broadcasting my username and password to
>everyone on the server, as they can read my code.

  Right - I was just trying to clarify that there were two separate issues at
hand there.  The JSP one is definitely an issue; datasources on the other hand
run more to personal preference.  Assuming that the JSP issue is resolved, the
datasource problem is effectively solved as well.

>As dave suggested, a slight reorganisation of servers (or even instances
>on the same server) such that some run JSP and some don't would suffice.
>Customers needing JSP can take their chances on those servers and those
>who want some security can have the servers wherein it is disabled.

  That's being considered as one alternative, but I'd personally like to avoid
it if at all possible as it leads to complications on our end.  This shouldn't
be seen as laziness, it's just a reality - the more complex the backend is the
more likely it is that there will be an issue of some sort when it comes time
to update the servers.  Or having to explain to a novice JSP user why this
stuff is insecure <shudder>.  I'd rather have it running and locked down
permanently.  Plus the idea of knowingly putting up a server with a gaping hole
in security turns my stomach a little.

>For a shared host, the best CF security involves turning off JSP,
>disabling CFOBJECT and createobject() for all customers and sandboxing
>files for every app to allow access to only the account directory. If
>you can provide some servers with this config (secure hosting servers)
>and others with the more relaxed JSP option, you take care of both sets
>of needs and I stop whining like a child.

  CFObject is insecure in v5.0, but with the advent of sandboxes I believe it
was deemed safe in MX versions.  If you believe I'm mistaken on that point
please let me know.  Currently our server config only disallows use of
CFExecute and CFRegistry, both for fairly obvious reasons.  Also RDS is
disabled, but that should be given as well.

  Sandboxing isn't quite as simple as you make it out to be - it's not enough
to simply have access restricted to the webroot.  You also need to implement a
host of other directories that CF needs access to for various reasons.  Here's
an example from one of our servers running MX 7.0

c:\websites\DOMAIN_NAME\       Read,Write,Execute,Delete
c:\websites\DOMAIN_NAME\-       Read,Write,Execute,Delete
c:\cfusionmx7\lib\updates       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\lib\updates\-       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\lib\cfxneo.dll       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\runtime\servers\coldfusion\SERVER-INF\temp\wwwroot-tmp       Read

c:\cfusionmx7\runtime\servers\coldfusion\SERVER-INF\temp\wwwroot-tmp\-
Read
c:\cfusionmx7\customtags\       Read,Execute
c:\cfusionmx7\customtags\-       Read,Execute
c:\cfusionmx7\cfx\       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\cfx\-       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\wwwroot\cfide       Read
c:\cfusionmx7\wwwroot\cfide\-       Read
c:\CFusionMX7\lib\vadmin.jar       Read
c:\CFusionMX7\lib\verity.jar       Read

  And this is just a server that started out as v7.  You should see one of the
ones that was upgraded from v6.1.