> Bruce, could you say some more about what made CaseStudio win out over
> DDS?
>
> Dave Merrill

Ugh.  I didn't keep any of my comparison notes (I thought about it, though
;-), so I'll have to go by memory.  I'll add comments for my runner-up
choice, Dezign, too.

CaseStudio (1st choice):
+ better user interface
+ reverse engineering capability built-in (DDS charges extra)
+ huge number of databases supported, including many opensource databases
(can also add your own custom databases)
+ built-in Data Flow Diagram editor (bi-directional; can link to ERD) <--
very cool
+ flexibility of options/configurations, including colors, names, metadata,
etc.
+ more polished print output (including html web site and pdf output)
+ written with development/developers in mind (for example, can attach to-do
notes to any object, can add generation clauses to objects
+ has a "gallery", which allows you to save reusable data models in a
library
+ has a versioning system which can version data model objects
+ can compare differences between two models
+ has a data model explorer interface to drill down to specific attributes,
entitites, etc
+ allows scripting of users and roles for databases which support it
+ support for triggers, stored procedures, etc.

- can't add relationship verbs in both directions (I'm a data modeling
purist, sorry ;-)
- doesn't support the concept of logical and physical models
- can't control relationship lines as much as I'd like (e.g., can't
straighten lines automatically)
- versioning is complex and not as well documented as expected
- doesn't control access to data model by team members (user-by-user access)
- doesn't support database domains

Dezign (2nd choice):
+ physical view perhaps the closest to ER/Studio type (i.e., nice)
+ very nice control of relationship lines and graphics (can straighten
lines - ahhh!, colors, fonts, etc)
+ script-writing support, to make custom reports, templates, etc
+ fully supports relationship verbs and naming
+ supports begin/end database script inclusion in generated output
+ supports sub-diagrams (awesome for breaking down complex/big models)
+ supports generalization entities
+ price good

- reverse engineering limited, and extra cost
- doesn't get updated with new features very often (last: Dec 2004)
- acceptable printed output (very basic, not professional looking)
  + does have a cool slider tool to print to specific page/zoom size, though
- supports versions, but cannot compare models (very basic)
- encountered one bug in free trial which messed up a model (very bad)

DDS (3rd choice):
+ can generate VBScript or Java from within tool
+ supports concept of domains for databases which have it
+ a "project manager" feature to control all aspects of a project (multiple
data models, etc)
+ can see what datatypes and features are supported easily
+ supports data model control at user level

- HATE the way they draw relationships, including the drawing of lines
(geez)
- no DFD functionality, no reusable data model parts, no explorer
- funky UI; hard to figure out sometimes, different from norm, much hidden
- DDS-Pro more on par with CaseStudio, but then costs much more
- reverse engineering only in DDS-Pro version
- fewer database choices