Also, if you're using MS SQL server, try doing ewok's query using the
WITH ROLLUP option...by using it with proper grouping, you can have
the server get the by-purchaser and overall totals in the query
itself.  May have to add a column or two to control ordering of NULL
values, but, hey, it's MS...

SELECT purchaserid, itemid, sum(itemPrice) as TheTotal
FROM itemsPurchased
GROUP BY purchaserid, itemid
WITH ROLLUP

-Joe