The final user does not need access to that folder, just CF. Let's say I
want to access a file C:\docs\test.doc, but the user doesn't have access
to C:\docs. CF has access to it, and the user has access to a CF
application in the webroot.
Create a file download.cfm under the webroot somewhere and pot the
following code in it:

<cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment;
filename=""test.doc""">
<cfcontent type="application/msword" file=" C:\docs\test.doc"
deletefile="No">

This should enable the users to download the file by calling
download.cfm. You have to make sure that coldfusion has access to the
folder. Sandbox security may also prevent this, but then you have to
talk to the server admin.