The one everlasting rule of thumb is that you can produce complete crap
using any language.  ;^)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a favorite.  Personally I don't
see any of the languages as being head-and-shoulders above the others.  I'll
never have a problem with anybody saying they prefer one language over
another.

I just know that I can code most things cleaner and quicker in CF.  I
generally won't comment on how easy or hard another language is (especially
one that I barely know).

In my company however this is the norm: we moved away from CF almost purely
on the say-so of the Java programmers like the one I mentioned and their
assertions that Java was "easier" to work with.

In short they produced complete crap and blamed the language.  Sounds like
you're working with the results of that kind of thinking.  ;^)

Jim Davis