> Also some of you missed my point, I am trying to format it so
> it would look readable when I modify it in Dreamweaver or
> CFEclipse.  I don't have problem viewing it in IE or on a web
> page.  So I don't see how XSLT can play a role here.

If you export the string to a file, and let your XML-aware text editor (or
other XML reader software like a browser) know it's an XML file (typically
by the file extension), the text editor will automatically display it as a
tree. Unfortunately, the current version of Dreamweaver doesn't seem to do
this.

> I spoke too soon, Kerry.  It didn't work.  The toString()
> function seems to work properly when you create the file for
> the first time, but when you access an existing xml file and
> modify it with the xmlElemNew() and other xml functions, then
> the output is just one long string.

This is common - XML parsers will often remove extraneous space when writing
the XML string. You will have to rewrite the string using regular string
formatting functionality after you've modified it using XML parsing
functionality.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/