Rif,

I'm not certain how you're using the term, "extranet." If you mean
access by a limited number of people outside your firewall (not the
whole world), then it's basically similar to your intranet with some
extra security considerations.

How much access you give the extranet users should probably depend on
their relationship to your organization. What do you want them to know?
What do you want them to be able to do?

I'd recommend putting your extranet users in the same table with your
employees. An extra column could differentiate between the two. Since
they're coming in from outside, you might also want to provide logins
for them.

HTH,
--John Allred

Rif Kiamil wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am current designing our 2nd Intranet and we know it about a years time
> where are going to have Extranet users. I just want to know. Would u develop
> a total separate system for Extranet users or give then access to only parts
> of the Intranet?
>
> Any ideas about Security and database design e.g. We have a User Table and
> Employees table. Users are employees that have access to the intranet. Where
> would u put the extranet users in the users table and employees table or
> create there an extranet user table.
>
> Rif
>
> Rif Kiamil
> Head of Network Admin / Project Coordinator of Intranet & Web Based
> Applications
> JJ Fast Food Distribution LTD
> Tele 020 8885 9218 / Fax 020 8885 9213

John Allred / Jackson, Mississippi

Accessibility Resources:
HWG's AWARE site - http://aware.hwg.org/
W3C's WAI site - http://www.w3.org/WAI/
Campaign for a Non-Browser-Specific WWW -
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/