The answer to your ? is easy, but you have to look at it from an
end-user point of view.

My shipping address is only slightly different from my billing address,
so as a customer it's nice to be able to check the box and then only
have to change the addr2 field instead of having to retype all of the
info when that's the only field I need to change.

--Ferg