Well said.

It's quite obvious that he's been around the industry for awhile as well and
though that counts for something, it seems highly unlikely that his
speculations should be taken as fact.

On a side note, Custom BSD firewalls can easily compete with highend 'out of
the box' solutions and are used by many of the corporations I've dealt with.

> Companies copy their competitors
> in this way all the time, and they don't need to licence each other's
> source
> code to do it. If there's one thing at which Microsoft excels, it's this.

Most of the apps that are built these days (web-based or otherwise) are
inspired by, if not directly taken from different
sources/companies/individuals. Most of what developers do is recycle ideas.
If you think you're the first person to do something, more likely than not
google can quickly obliterate that idea... =]

Sadly, if many of these companies would quit trying to out-feature the
competition and work toward more standardized ideas, nothing but the best
would come of it. I can't imagine how impressive it would be to see the top
guys from Java, PHP, Python, Coldfusion & .NET sit down and incorporate the
best of all worlds. Of course, I have a better chance of winning the
lottery...

Sincerely,

Kevin
www.keslabs.com