James Holmes wrote:

> The joins are all straightforward and the tables contain what they sound
> like they contain. It takes 4.3 seconds (or so) to run. I'll send the
> explain output later on if necessary.

Please do so. I expect that it will show that the joined version
is driven by the wrklocations table and the subquery version is
driven by the wrkcalcs table.

> The end result is the same dataset. I did notice that the subquery
> version allows for one less group by expression, which may or not make
> the difference.

I don't think that explains the difference. How fast is this
query? And what does the explain output show?

SELECT
   escunits.unitname,
   SUM (wrkcalcs.score)as WDMSCORE,
   wrkenrolments.eftsu,
   wrkperiods.periodname,
   wrklocations.LOCATION
FROM
   wrklocations, escunits, wrkcalcs, wrkperiods, wrkenrolments
WHERE (wrklocations.locationid = wrkcalcs.locationid)
   AND (wrkperiods.periodid = wrkcalcs.periodid)
   AND (escunits.unitid = wrkcalcs.unitid)
   AND (escunits.unitid = wrkenrolments.unitid)
   AND (wrkperiods.periodid = wrkenrolments.periodid)
   AND (wrkcalcs.locationid = 1)
   AND (wrkcalcs.periodid IN (4, 6))
GROUP BY
   wrkperiods.periodname,