> We have a client that is trying to decide whether to go with my company or
> another company.  We are a CF/MS SQL shop, and the other company does LAMP
> development (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl).
>
> I was wondering if anyone on this list can give some ideas of the pros and
> cons of using CF/MS SQL vs LAMP.

Scalability is a big one. CF is (can be) run on top of J2EE and you
can plug most any database in (if you decide to "upgrade"). Queues -
lot of businesses are moving to message queues now for system
integration.

> I know for a fact that perl code is harder to read and maintain, and that's
> it's probably slower since it's interpreted every time instead of
> pre-compiled as CF is.  I know MS SQL has more features (such as stored
> procs) that MySQL lacks.

Depending on who you are talking to, they may not care about that.
They may just be looking at the cost and if "it'll work" - after all
they are hiring you to write the code who cares how hard it is. I'd
play up the fact that they will make more money because they'll be
able to integrate with more products and services, communicate with
other companies easier, and in the long run save money on development
/ re-writing / integration costs.

> What other pros does CF/MySQL have over LAMP that might sway a potential
> client?  Personally, except for the fact that LAMP is free, I don't see any
> advantages of it at all.

That's a big advantage, and it can be a blinding one too. Why would
you choose CF/mssql over LAMP if you were a CIO of a business?

--
~Blog~
http://www.robrohan.com