Joe,

ditto - I like your take on this.

-mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Rinehart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:03 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF vs LAMP

Hi guys,

The 'P' in LAMP usually refers to PHP - which is a pain to read,
write, and maintain unless you're very well versed in PHP ;)

I think the IIS vs. Apache for maintanence is a toss-up - IIS's GUI is
nice at times, but sometimes I'd kill to just be able to edit
httpd.conf.

Running CFMX + MySql is certainly an option - if you do MS SQL,
changing to MySql is no big deal.  It's very easy to maintain with the
new MySql admin and query analyzer tools.

-Joe

On 5/31/05, Michael Dinowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. MS SQL costs, MySQL does not
> 2. MS SQL has Stored Procedures and other features missing from MySQL
> 3. MS SQL easier to maintain
> 4. IIS sucks
> 5. IIS is easier to maintain and work with than Apache
> 6. CF costs, Perl is free
> 7. Perl is a pain to read, write, and maintain unless your very well
versed in perl
> 8. CF is easy to read, write and maintain even if your not very well
versed in CF
> The cost for MS SQL/CF is more in the short run, but when you get into
programming time, new features, maintance and all MS SQL/CF wins hands down
and is less than what would be paid over time with LAMP.

> >We have a client that is trying to decide whether to go with my company
or
> >another company.  We are a CF/MS SQL shop, and the other company does
LAMP