From: Sean Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 12:10 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: fix for moving legacy code to application.cfc w/ local variab
les

On 6/2/05, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, don't use OnRequest - that will replace the page that was actually
> requested. You could use OnRequestStart, or just put them in the
> "pseudo-constructor" area I think.

No, if you want page-local variables to be accessible in the requested
page, you *must* use onRequest().

If you do not use onRequest(), variables set in onRequestStart() are
accessible in onRequestEnd() but not in the main page you requested.

As soon as you use onRequest(), all three methods share the same
variables scope and onRequest() <cfinclude>s the requested page.

However, you cannot use onRequest() in an Application.cfc that
controls CFCs that are accessed as Web Services, via Flash Remoting or
as Event Gateways. Read the documentation for more details on that.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Team Fusebox -- http://fusebox.org/

-- Margaret Atwood