On 6/2/05, Bryan Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For most sites, if the PHP site takes twice or three times as long as the
> same site being done in CF, then whatever you have in the free software,
> you've more than spent on programmers wages. So which site is cheaper again?
> >
> > larry

The "programmers wages" argument begins to collapse *very* quickly as
you scale up/out. With *any* licensed software, your licensing costs
are at least linearly related to your need to scale; for free open
source software, the scaling price is zero. This isn't an issue for a
small site, but for a large site the licensing costs can easily
outstrip the development costs. For a moderate volume site with 2
dualproc web servers plus a dualproc db server, CF/MS-SQL costs $15k(3
[EMAIL PROTECTED], 2 [EMAIL PROTECTED], 2procs of [EMAIL PROTECTED]), LAMP
costs $0. In
many cases, the project may be delivered in LAMP for less than the
license cost of CF/MS-SQL.

And for very small sites, let's say a budget of <$10k, the licensing
costs can eat up so much of the budget that there's no money left for
building the site itself. The original question was about CF/MS-SQL vs
LAMP. Software costs of CF/MS-SQL at a minimum are around $7k (Win2003
$800 + CF $1200 + MS-SQL $5,000) while LAMP costs $0. In many cases,
LAMP could conceivably deliver the project for the cost of the
licenses for CF/MS-SQL.

To be fair though, the driver in both of these cases is really MS-SQL
(and the companion Windows license). I think it's much easier to
justify CF (for the time savings) *especially* if you need on of it's
core differentiating features (e.g reporting, flashpaper, event
gateways, java integration,  flash integration). Just as PHP might be
a time savings if you're delivering an application that can leverage
existing PHP functionality, especially one of the portals or CMS
platforms to solve your problem.

I think the main advantage of CF over PHP/Perl/Python is the ability
to leverage Java and to scale up into and integrate with J2EE
containers and applications, but that's just me :)

> Amen Larry!!....I don't know why this concept is so hard for some people to
> "get".

I think the main reason the "concept is so hard to get" is that
there's no real proof demonstrating CF is faster to develop in than
PHP (or .NET or Perl or Java, etc). There are plenty of anecdotal
stories -- but for every positive anecdote you can show, there's a
negative one someone else can throw out.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint