I've done this a few different ways.   The current one is a random photo display with
thumbnails.  There's no database at all.  You just drop the thumbnail in one directory
and the enlarged image in another.  The images display either at random in order.  You
could extend the functionality to display only certain types of photos based upon how
you name them.  You could also easily extend this app and add on a text directory
containing captions.

Take a look at http://www.warrick.net.  If you're interested in the code, respond to
me privately.

---mark