Andy,

I think we are close. Yes, I use FCKEditor for creating the document
and inserting my placemarkers, similar to how you would set up the doc
in Word for a mail merge. Now if users are going to create your
documents, you would have to supply them a list of placemarkers that
can be used, and upon saving the content of the editor, validate all
placemarkers that are contained within the ^$^.....^$^

Also, if you are cutting and pasting from Word, I think you will get a
lot of MS crap in there. I always save my word doc to plain text
first, and then paste from there. Ends up being very clean and
formatting is not a problem.

Dan