> HomeSite starts but under SYSTEM account so it is invisible on
> desktop. Is there any way to start editor by cfmx server in visible
> mode?

Within the list of services, configure the CF service to be able to interact
with the desktop.

> Try setting the ColdFusion server service to use the Administrator
> account or another windows user account instead of the system account
> -- that might get the result you want. I'm not certain of that, but
> I'm guessing that if CF Server is assigned to the Administrator
> account on that machine then any cfexecute tag (like cffile tags)
> would be part of that security context and so would produce other
> behavior associated with that user account like displaying Homesite on
> the desktop.

By itself, that won't cause programs to appear on the desktop.

> Of course -- I have to say -- there's a use for CF I never expected...
> makes me curious what the purpose is... open the offending template
> when an error occurs?

I've done this before to circumvent desktop security policies on machines
that have CF installed.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/