> So, I am going to use this a bunch of times. Is this kind of
> thing best setup up as a custom function or CFC?

Yes!

To provide a more serious and hopefully more useful answer, you should
certainly use one or the other, but which one you use is up to you and how
the rest of your code is structured, and whether you find an object-oriented
approach to problem-solving to be useful.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/