Just playing a little devil's advocate here...

While, yes, this is the computer science term and, when used in that
explicit context the common usage in CF is wrong, do the CF Docs present
themselves in the context of computer science?  More importantly should
they?

The docs, it seems to me, purposefully present a simplistic, informal voice.
They are aimed at the average CF user (who, I'll stake, is not generally a
computer science geek).

The idea that "values persist across multiple requests" is perfectly clear,
understandable English.  "Persist" isn't a label for a broader concept here
-it's a perfectly appropriate word to describe the behavior.  The label
"persist" here (as in "persistent scopes") is correct insofar as its usage
(again, it may be wrong from a technical perspective, but it is proper
English and gets the point across).

Also, from what I see in the docs, it's used consistently used in specific
context.  There are definitely many computer science terms which can mean
different things depending on context, why can't this be another?

I guess in the end I'm just having trouble with coming up with another
simple term that can both describe and label these scopes.  For example you
could correctly say "values exist across multiple requests" but you can't
reasonably call those scopes "Existent variables".

So far I think that "Shared" works best... but isn't nearly as descriptive
to the behavior involved (I think) as "persistent".  Forgetting computer
science (for just a minute) they are, in fact persistent across requests
(to use the word "persistent" you really have to define your boundaries).

I agree that, in general, using terms in agreed-upon ways is always better
than not... but it's also clear that the term "persistent" has been very
successful for many years in describing this potentially confusing behavior.

So, in general, should the docs focus more on describing the behavior or on
maintaining broader conventions?  Is it worth it, in this case, to ignore a
convention if the documentation is clearer as a result?  What terminology
would you use in place of "persistence" to describe these scopes?

In general have we reached a time when too many good, God-damned descriptive
terms have been co-opted for specific concepts leaving us with poor,
second-cousin synonyms that don't explain things as well?

Jim Davis

(Sorry... late nights get me thinking.)