Note I didn't say Verity was faster than SQL Server FullText - just
that Verity does improve with subsequent(sp) searches for the same
term.

I can say Verity seems to beat the pants off of a simple SQL search.
Getting the rank back is especially nice - and even better (in CFMX7
anyway), you can get suggestions when you don't get enough results
back.