From: Jennifer Larkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:52 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Coldfusion Crashing!

Not to disagree greatly with someone who clearly knows what he's
talking about better than I do, but there are some problems in tracing
log running requests through the log in CF 5. One problem is that if
the requests get killed by the "restart after x unresponsive requests"
they don't show up in the log as long running requests. The log only
tracks long running requests when they finish. If you restart your
server too soon, you could end up hiding the problem requests. Turn
this setting on but periodically change the timeout setting and see
how high you can get it without killing the server. Watch the server
closely for a while and see if you can spot any extremely long running
requests, then you can deal with those.

Another consequence of the long running request problem is that if you
have several long running requests in progress, other requests that
may not otherwise be long running may show up as long running in the
log. If something is listed in the logs as long running, don't
determine that the problem is necessarily with that file. What is more
important is a pattern of long running requests.

If you have a page that is called extremely frequently and only rarely
lists as a long running request, the problem is probably not that
file. If a file is called rarely and lists as a long running request
almost as often, then you have an easily identified problem file. If
you have http request monitoring software, generate some per page
statistics and then search the CF logs to generate statistics on the
pages that you suspect.

Also look at timing patterns. If the problem always happens at the
start of the work day, something that people do first thing when they
get in could be a problem. Check the timing of any scheduled tasks.
It's ok for scheduled tasks to run long-- that's one reason to set
them up as scheduled tasks. If the problems happen near the time of
any scheduled tasks, try moving them and see if the problem continues.
Make sure that your scheduled tasks don't overlap. Also make sure that
major database tasks such as DTSs run at off-peak hours. If your
database is slow, CF will be slow.

Good luck!

--
"My mind is a scary place." The Tick