Well as a last resort I thought I could put the offending code in a CFTRY
and just lose a few records once in a while, but trying to remove a # sign
from a string will even bomb a CFTRY!

Somehow I have to be able to get past this obstacle.  Barney B. suggested
this regular expression but it doesn't work and all the logical variants I
can think of don't work either:  REreplace(myText, '"([^"]*)##([^"]*")',
"\1####\2", "all")

This was my original question, hopefully someone out there will have dealt
with something like this before:

I've got a compiled application that can be programmed to output ColdFusion
code along with its regular output, writing CF templates that later run
under CF 5.0.  However if any of its regular output contains pound signs,
CF throws an error when the template is executed.  Both these examples will
fail:

<CFSCRIPT>
    Test = 'SKU # 1716-SY-367';
</CFSCRIPT>

Or

<CFSET Test = 'SKU # 1716-SY-367'>

What I would LIKE to do is use Replace or REReplace or somehow escape the
damn pound signs out of the strings more or less like so:

<CFSET Test = #REplace("SKU # 1716-SY-367", "#Chr(35)#", "", "ALL")#>  --
but it doesn't work.

(#Chr(35)# in the REplace function will replace say, DOUBLE pound signs in
the string, so at least that works)

It is not possible to use the original compiled application to either
double up the pound signs or eliminate them, I have to work with the output
it gives me and it isn't very sophisticated.  I can use it to output any CF
code I want but I have to deal with the strings it gives me.   Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Karl S.