From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 9:32 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: ColdFusion Exam

Just for clarification, I didn't' say that the certification will show that
the coder is a good one...I just simply said if I was looking at two coders
with the same level of experience, and the same 'apparent' ability, that I
would choose the one with the certification over the one without.  In other
words, it's a tie-breaker in my mind.  That's about it.  I have 7 1/2 years
of experience in CF and have never been certified in it, and still am not.
It only took me 10 days to get my most recent contract at a pretty high
rate, so I agree with Ken in the matter that my body of work pretty much
gets me the job, not a certification (which I don't have anyway).  However,
most CF programmers nowadays do not have 7+ years of experience to show
(most seem to be 2-3 year experienced coders) so in that case, when there is
a large number of coders out there with about the same experience, having
the certification will certainly not HURT someone, and in fact, helps to set
them apart...

Having said all that, all you coders out there with less than a year or two
of experience in CF, don't assume that getting the certification will get
you the job...it won't...remember, it's just a piece of paper. :)

In fact, the only way to know whether you have found a 'good' coder
(whatever that is) is to hire them and see how they produce over at least a
couple of weeks, if not a month or more.  You can make some pretty good
assumptions from reviewing code, interviewing, testing, checking references,
etc., but you will just never know.  The first coder I ever hired looked
great but after 90 days, I had to let him go.  He took 6 weeks to do
something I could have done in a few days.

Oh, one more comment...tests oftentimes test memory skills, but I have found
in all my coding projects knowing where to find the information you need
(i.e. references, how to search for problems/solutions on the net, etc.) is
the most valuable skill that someone can have.  Typing speed doesn't hurt
either. ;-)

Whew....I'm done now.

Dave