>>I suspect it has more to do with the fact that people have specific
>>expectations about what's in a query object than anything else. People have
>>a two-dimensional mental model of what a recordset is, and nesting one
>>recordset within another would break that model.

You may very well be right.  Perhaps it is simply the usage of the word "query"
in this context that makes people start screaming in horror ;-) I'm not saying
that I necessarily disagree, but I guess XML expanded *my* concept or perhaps
definition of "recordsets".  So the idea of either a query within a query or a
structure within a query  is not quite as horrifying to me as it might have
been years ago.  However, this is primarily a excercise in exploration and just
satisfying my own curiousity.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.