Isaac is right. It's the DB provider who would be at risk. Normally
databases are secured behind firewalls and not accessible online. The
web server should be the only system accessible online, and that web
server communicates with the private database.

Sounds like your web provider is just being lame. They probably want
you to sign-up for their DB hosting.

-Adam