> well i think they definitely need a technote. I found a bunch
> of threads with the same problem but no solution. I finally found
> one talking about permissions. It turns out that for whatever
> reason the sys admins removed the permissions for the SYSTEM
> account, which coldfusion is run as by default. I added permissions
> for SYSTEM and it worked.

I have two comments on this.

First, there might be a good reason why your sysadmins removed those
permissions from SYSTEM, although the SYSTEM security context can always
take ownership of whatever it wants anyway, and grant itself permissions.
You might want to check with them before you change things around.

Second, and more importantly, you would be better served by running CF as a
less privileged user instead of SYSTEM. You can create a user account just
for CF, and grant it the necessary permissions and user rights.
Alternatively, if you're using Windows Server 2003, you can use the "Local
Service" (or "Network Service" if you need to access remote shares, etc)
security context which is considerably less privileged than SYSTEM.
Macromedia has a technote about how to do this with CFMX, and it's pretty
easy actually.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/