>>There are solutions to both of these problems but would require

>>customization of the editor code itself.

I have developped my own editor some time ago.
It is far from having all the features FCK has, however, the configuration
can be passed directly from the HTML code as a simple list of tools,
and the styles are picked up from a standard CSS file.

Another feature is that you do not have it directly in the form,
but you open it in a separate window (which can be sized the way you like)
by right clicking on the standard textarea.
This means you can open different instances of it for different textareas in
the same form,
and using different tool sets.
I don't know if this is feasible with FCKE?

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;