If you're going to use the CFMAIL tag, you have to write attachments to disk.
There is no way around it, and I've tried MANY different ways to get around
it.  In the end, we had to end up using a hand rolled Java-based mail proxy
service.  Bye bye CFMAIL.  Let me reiterate your astonishment at finding out
that you can't attach data to an email without first writing it to disk.
When I discovered this limitation of CFMX, I was stunned (yes I do consider
it a limitation).