From: RADEMAKERS Tanguy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:15 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Cfhttp vs web services

Russ,

You have to compare apples with apples: not all web services work the
same way. CFMX web services built using cfcomponents with
access="remote" are "heavy duty" web services that use SOAP to pass
messages, publish a WSDL file to document their interface and check
things like parameter datatypes. All this stuff is a pain to do by hand,
but once again cf comes to the rescue and makes something complex very
easy for 80+% of cases. If your developer had had to do all these things
by hand in CF5 then the answer to "what do you gain" would most probably
be "time".

Having said that, there's a lot of discussion out there about how SOAP
based web services may well be overly complex for most simple uses -
especially in cases like yours where you are both the publisher and the
consumer of a web service, or in cases when you have a small number of
simple in parameters. Now if you were publishing a web service that had
to be consumed by another team (maybe even in another time zone) using a
different technology, then SOAP based web services have one great
advantage - tool support. Turn the problem on its head: if you had to
consume a web service produced by somebody else, would you rather use
cfhttp then some kind of parsing on the result, or just use a single
cfinvoke tag? The ability to do the second depends on SOAP based web
services...

just my 0.02$

/t