From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:04 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CSS Help

Sandy Clark wrote:
> You need a doctype in there, otherwise IE is going to go into quirks
> mode Try HTML 4.01 strict, that should be a start.

Wow, that breaks everything! =)  How about 4.01 Transitional?

> As to the rest, maincontent has a width of 100%.  The question is 100%
> of what?  Children in the dom inherit the width of their parents. Try
> to set percentages for nav and side content as well and make sure the
> three of them add up to 100%.

Can't do that.  My left nav and side bar areas can't be a percentage, they
are fixed widths.  So the width on my center area was set to 100%.
  I actually removed it so it would use the inherited "auto" width.

> #nav {
>       float: left;
>       width: 160;
> }
> CSS does not recognize lengths without units (with the exception of
> 0). Is this pixels? If so it should be set as 160px.  Don't mix
> absolute lengths and relative lengths tho.  (pixels and %).  You won't get
what you want.

Actually, all browsers seem to recognize that a width without a unit is a
pixel width, but for readability, I'll add px.

As for mixing absolute and relative lengths - well, I don't want to set an
absolute length on my mainContent div because I want it to take up all the
remaining space.  Setting the width to "Auto" should take care of that.

Sigh.

I should've taken that CSS Box Model class again at CFUNITED!

Rick