Jason,

Don't set the multiple attribute--just set the "size" attribute to something
like 10. The "multiple" attribute allows multiple items to be selected, the
size attribute controls how big the box is.

The code is designed w/the expectation that the selectedIndex will have a
non-negative value (which a single select element always does.) A multiple
select box defaults to having a negative selectedIndex.

-Dan